Monday, February 22, 2010

I Stumbled On Something Powerful!

I have always been a believer in goal writing. There is plenty of research to suggest that the most successful people both personally and professionally are goal writers. I know from my own experience that it makes all the difference, but still progress was slower than I would like. And then about three years ago I came upon a goal writing technique from Brian Tracy. On his audio program he called it "Ultimate Goals". I call it "Goals On Steroids". The success I found with this program was incredible! My personal growth was accelerated in every area of my life. Of course that increased my happiness since we are always happiest when we are growing and progressing. Here's how it works:

1. Get a spiral notebook and write down your 10 - 15 most important goals EVERYDAY. Never miss a day!

2. Each day write them from memory without referring to your previous list. This will be a struggle the first few times but will help crystallize what it is you really want. Find wording that inspires you. After the first few weeks this process will take you less than five minutes.

3. Write your goals as if you have already accomplished them. "I have excellent posture" or "I spend time educating myself everyday".

4. Always write them in the affirmative. Write "I am financially independent" rather than "I am debt free" so the focus is not on a negative like "debt".

5. You may have no idea how each goal will be accomplished but write them anyway.

6. Set a deadline when possible as in "I will be able to wear that little black dress by December 31st".

7. Make sure you have set goals in each of the important area's of life. I like to place them in order of my priorities. My first goal is spiritual, then family (social/emotional), physical, financial, etc.

As you try this program miracles will happen in your life. In some cases it will seem as if super natural forces are at work. Everyone who I know has tried it has found that it works. Unfortunately many people are content in the mediocrity of a comfort zone. Don't let that be you. There is not much fun or excitement there, whereas, there is excitement and success in abundance in the world if you reach for it.

If you decide to try this I would love to hear about your experience. If you have questions contact me or read chapter 15 of "Goals!" by Brian Tracy. In fact, go crazy and read the whole thing.

My favorite quote is by Helen Keller. She said, "Either life is a daring, joyful adventure or life is nothing." Now go get 'em!

Leave a comment here, contact me at Fitmania 345-2377, by e-mail or Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Sherry, that's a great idea! I do something similar everyday and am competing in my first ever triathlon, which is a huge goal for me to accomplish!

    Thanks for the good advice!

    ReplyDelete